"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Election Day Link Dump

And it's really depressing. One of the first stories that I ran across today had the Republicans with a 70% chance of taking a Senate majority, since the Democratic party seems determined to shoot itself in the foot, which means two years of nothing happening in Congress at all -- unless, of course, the Great Negotiator in the White House caves. Again.

Meanwhile, Anti-Gay, Inc., is pulling out all the stops -- the rhetoric is now completely over the top, and the "religious" members are once again flouting the law.

And I have to go out and find my new polling place -- apparently, I'm not the only one. Happily, in Chicago the powers that be actually want us to vote, so I got a mailer with not only the address of my polling place, but a URL for early and absentee voting information -- in English, Spanish, Hindi, and Vietnamese (I think -- could be Chinese, but I tend to think Vietnamese because the major Vietnamese community is on the North Side, where I am; Chinatown's on the South Side). It was much easier when the polls were half a block away on the corner. That's what I get for moving. I meant to vote early -- there was an early voting location right on my usual bus route -- and kept forgetting until Saturday, when the wait time was an hour and a half to two hours. I know how I'm going to vote -- except for the judges. There are always a million judges up for retention, and I have no idea who they are and I kept forgetting to check the CBA ratings.

For some reason, there are a lot of ambulances and fire trucks going by this morning.

And it's cloudy, although we're promised sun later.

And I just feel like sitting around chain-smoking, even though I'm doing pretty well on cutting down and eventually stopping.

Gah.

No comments: