"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Brokeback Mountain: Post Mortem by Annie Proulx

A brilliant little piece by Annie Proulx that says pretty much all I want to say about the Academy Awards.

Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver.

She goes on from there.

This is certainly not the first time that Hollywood has proven itself the last refuge of the blind and artistically challenged. I'm sure it won't be the last. The irony is that the wildmons spend so much time and energy railing against Hollywood when it time and time again proves itself completely irrelevant.

Proulx brings up something I hadn't thought of (and I should have, once having been an actor myself):

But which takes more skill, acting a person who strolled the boulevard a few decades ago and who left behind tapes, film, photographs, voice recordings and friends with strong memories, or the construction of characters from imagination and a few cold words on the page? I don't know. The subject never comes up.

So much for the craft(s) of filmmaking.

I'll have more to say on this. The film and story became so iconic and have generated not only controversy but commentary that it should be some indication even to Hollywood that they are important.

No comments: