"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Pride

This past Sunday was the Chicago Gay Pride Parade. I rode a float, for the first time in -- how many years? Many.

There was a good crowd, although I have no idea how many -- I'd guess at least 200,000, although the one count I saw said 500,000. That seems high to me. Whatever -- there were about 8 "repent or die" demonstrators. Gives you an idea of the relative strength of Americans and Christianists, at least in this city.

Not a big dissertation today, but some thoughts.

We've all gotten used to the idea that politicians march (or ride) in the parade. Both candidates for governor were there, along with every other office holder or wannabe who could squeeze in. What's also happened over the past few years is that other "mainstream" organizations are included -- not just beer companies, but Commonwealth Edison, NBC, ABC, and other media (not just covering the event, but being in it), and others I can't remember. I think there was a contingent from the police department. (I actually got one of the on-duty cops to smile. It took a couple of minutes, but she did, finally.) I seem to remember firefighters. Doctors. (The problem with being in the parade is that you don't get to see it.)

I saw a lot of guys in the audience wearing T-shirts from construction contractors -- roofers, I remember, and electricians.

Kids. Lots of kids. I was on the Chicago Reader float. The editor brought her two children, who helped us pass out beads. (Beads are big. Really, really big.) And lots of kids in the audience.

I talked to a couple of people afterward. Favorite parts of the day? Drag queens. Leatherfolk. The very people that the "leadership" wishes would disappear. That's what people come to see. (One woman likes to see the drag queens because she's very fashion-conscious and wants to see what people are wearing. She also likes the guys running around in harnesses and leather G-strings. A lot. So do I.) Some of the dancers were absolutely gorgeous -- I'm still drooling over one guy dressed as a Roman centurion.

That, to me, is the point -- it's all about inclusion. The polar opposite of the right wing. The leadership should back off and take another look, and maybe screw their heads on straight. (If you'll pardon the term.)

One thing about the Parade that you won't hear about from the media, either the mainstream or the right-wing scare sheets: it's a feel-good. Very good feeling all through it. No violence (even though the bead feeding frenzy was touch and go sometimes). It's a big party, happy and energetic. That's the important part. (Yeah, so maybe there were guys having sex in the alleys. I hope so.)

Good time.

High point: This little elderly lady sitting right at the curb, sort of wide-eyed and a little shy. I put a string of beads around her neck. She was thrilled. Made my day.

And today is the 37th anniversary of Stonewall.

No comments: