"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Update

Just a little news from the "me" front. I've been madly trying to pound out reviews with not much success -- the heat, and too many complicated things to review, and a heavy work schedule. Note the upcoming review of Ellen Kushner's Privilege of the Sword, which will be up at GMR on August 13. For August 27, I am already slated for a twofer review of Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly and Richard Linklater's film adaptation. There will also be an omni of George Alec Effinger's Marid Audran series.

For music, there will be some nice contemporary avant-garde (Philip Glass, Olivier Greif, John Luther Adams) some Turkish classical music, more Central Javanese gamelan, an opera by Haydn, some other things spanning my usual range of geography and centuries.

I've just started working on a review of a scandalously bad "New Age" book that has all the faults I despise in "philosophical" writing. That will be at Rambles, at some point.

I am also trying to figure out a way to consolidate the Brokeback posts, so I can clean up my sidebar and put them all together. Maybe I'll do a final comment, as well. (If anyone knows any tricks for doing that, I'd love ot hear about it. Right now I'm thinking of setting up a site on Earthlink and linking to it from here.)

Have to do some writing. Next time.

PS -- congrats to Scootmaroo at Cabana Boy Scoot for his entry into the big time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh please. Just the semi-bigtime. And I am sure that it was just a fluke....

But thanks anyway!