"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, October 06, 2006

Goldwater Democrat

This post from Andrew Sullivan was good to see -- a conservative (albeit a British one) talking sense. From David Cameron's party conference address:

It means that things which produce more carbon will get more expensive. Going green is not some fashionable, pain-free option. It will place a responsibility on business. It will place a responsibility on all of us.

That is the point.


Note particularly what he says about taxes and families.

It's the kind of conservatism I can listen to, and really, as liberal as I may come across sometimes, the kind that I can adhere to, and usually have. Unlike the so-called "libertarian" strand of conservatism, which I consider morally impoverished, this says simply: people deserve to have the government's support in making the best of their lives -- not the government carrying them, but just supporting, and that we have, as a group, certain responsibilities that are best implemented by our collective institutions -- the government.

The "conservatism" that infests the US right now is a totalitarian, fascist-leaning (if not downright fascist, and there are those who argue that it has gone that far) nightmare.

Excuse me, but just because Orwell predicted it, you think it can't happen?

Sullivan has posted a few comments recently about "Goldwater Democrats." That would be me.

No comments: