"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Our Leader: Sieg Heil!

A lot of people are probably going to think that's an inflammatory header. Unfortunately, if Josef Stalin or Benito Mussolini had an equally concise and pungent tagline, I don't know it.

I was going to title this post "The Torture President," but that doesn't quite encompass the enormity of what this bastard has done to this country.

Glenn Greenwald on the president's authority to torture, among other things. This is exactly what many of us have objected to in the Patriot Act and now the brand-new Torture Act (to call it by its proper name). It's a long post, but read it.

Greenwald highlights this comment. The commenter, a municipal police offer, hits it right on the nose:

Regardless of Mr. Padilla's genuine guilt or innocence of any act, the bare facts of his confinement make an absolute mockery of the death of every soldier, sailor, airman or police officer who has ever been killed in the performance of their duties. To retort that this raw power is necessary to "protect Americans" is to assume that there is nothing in being a citizen of this nation for any of us beyond the mere fact of being alive.

Yet that's the theme that Bush is pushing: simply being alive is "American" enough. We can all sit back while he flushes our values down the toilet -- and I mean our real values, not the other-people's-crotches values so dear to his base.

Gods, these people disgust me no end.

(Fine -- I'm angry. If you're not, you should be. The real horror is that I don't trust the Democrats, even if they don't fumble the election, to spend any effort on fixing it.)

No comments: