"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Reframing

To borrow a title. Ran across this post by poputonian at Digby:

I recall a distinction issued by Riggsveda back in '04:

A Suggestion For Re-Framing

Enough with "values"! The word is meaningless. The right has so worn out this word that it has become almost synonymous with hypocrisy, and we, the left, should not be scrambling to latch onto it in some misguided effort to convince the world that we have them, too. Live your morals, don't waste your breath preaching about them. The real word we should be using, and using at every opportunity, is "honor". It goes beyond just implying that one has ethics. It means one lives by them.

Honor.


Poputonian follows it with a looong post, but I'm going to keep it short (because I have to go write something else).

Maybe it's time to revive that concept. It can still mean somthing.

No comments: