"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Blog Wars

I usually stay out of the blog wars, simply because it's just too much of a tiny little group thing, but this is a very intelligent post by Glenn Greenwald in response to attacks by Ann Althouse and Glenn Reynolds on Andrew Sullivan's use of the term "Christianist."

I myself, as you've probably noticed, find "Christianist" a useful term, and I consider Althouse and Reynolds perhaps one step above sitting in a corner and drooling on themselves, at least as far as political commentary is concerned. Greenwald's discussion of the term and its uses is, I think, a very clear exposition of the background Sullivan has built into it. Pity that Althouse and Reynolds don't get it. But then, I wouldn't expect them to -- it's too close to reality. (I'm not going to address the question of how much of that avoidance is deliberate.)

The objection to the term on the right seems to stem directly from 1) the victim strategy, and 2) "it's OK for me to say it about other people, but no one can say it about me."

Take that for what it's worth.

(The comments at Althouse's post are instructive: a prime example of misreading, although whether it's purposeful or just sloppy, it's hard to tell. Lots of straw man going on there, starting with Althouse herself. And this is a law professor?)

Add in this post by Tristero over at Hullabaloo.

No comments: