"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, December 15, 2006

Mary's Baby

A letter to the editor of Time:

Dear Patrick Smith:

After seeing the controversy over Time's publication of James Dobson's thoughts on Mary Cheney's pregnancy, I was finally able to take a few minutes to read Dobson's piece. I am gratified that Time also saw fit to publish the rebuttal by Jennifer Chrisler, but wonder why it took two days to present an accurate and opposing viewpoint.

As for Dobson's screed, my first question is "Why does Time feel it necessary to have an anti-gay propagandist, and one known for mendacity, comment on Mary Cheney's private life?" I doubt that anyone was unsure of his position, and if his claim that he was approached to contribute the article is accurate (of which only he and you know the truth), why? Surely you weren't expecting a balanced and rational discussion of gay families. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing else in the world controversial enough for comment -- perhaps you should have asked Dr. Dobson for his opinion on the repeal of habeas corpus.

Second, since Dobson is a known prevaricator, particularly when making reference to "scientific studies" on the subject of gays and lesbians, I'm amazed that Time would publish this essay without at the very least a disclaimer branding it as Dobson's opinion -- unless, of course, Time is in agreement with his demonstrably specious conclusions. (And I note that two of the researchers he cited have already protested his distortions of their work.)

While I'm the last to say that Dobson is not entitled to his opinions, as ignorant and wrong-headed as they may be, I see no reason why Time has to give him yet another soapbox.


I have to point out that in addition to Dobson's predictably innaccurate screed, Time has also published a rebuttal by Jennifer Chrisler -- which, incidentally, is now getting some prominence over Dobson's original in the sidebar on the home page.

My basic question remains: why go to Dobson for an opinion? It's not like he doesn't have other means of making his biases known, and everyone already knows what his biases are.

And, one wonders what kind of controversy would have been generated if Cheney and Poe had decided to adopt a child?

No comments: