"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Books

Been hitting some choice stuff lately. Highly recommended: John Clute's Appleseed. I'm planning a more in-depth review for GMR in the next couple of weeks, as well.

Also, Samuel R. Delany's Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, which might be better than Dhalgren. Maybe. Not sure.

Gene Wolfe's Castelview. Wolfe is like Delany -- you can't take anything he writes at face value, and you have to remember that he likes to fuck with your head.

Finally read Pride and Prejudice, which, of course, I loved. I honestly don't understand why there's ever been any controversy over Austen's place in the literary firmament -- devastating satire, and relevant to much more than early 19th century England.

Working right now on Steven Erickson's Deadhouse Gates, the second book of Malazan. Loving it. Also Vernor Vinge's Rainbow's End, which has been hanging around too long waiting for me to get to it. Cyberpunk run amok.

By the way, tomorrow morning bright and early check out "What's New at Green Man Review" for the best literature selections from 2006. I seem to have reviewed a lot of them (blush, giggle). I have to confess, picking "bests" out of what crossed my desk last year was not easy -- very high quality stuff.

No comments: