"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, January 15, 2007

McCain's War

I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that Bush is such a lame duck that the Iraq War now belongs to McCain.

I don't know if that's good or bad, especially since king-maker Dobson has now turned his nose up at a McCain candidacy. I think it would be a scream if McCain won the nomination. Maybe I'll vote in the Republican primary (which I can do in Illinois).

And in connection with that, what universe is Joe Lieberman living in?

I think the consequences for the Middle East, which has been so important to our international stability over the years, and to the American people, who have been attacked on 9/11 by the same enemy that we’re fighting in Iraq today, supported by a rising Islamist radical super-powered government in Iran, the consequences for us, for—I want to be personal—for my children and grandchildren, I fear will be disastrous.

I mean, just read that carefully (as quoted by Atrios), keeping in mind that Lieberman prefaced that statement by saying there are two strategies in Iraq, victory or defeat. WTF???

Thankfully, Chuck Hagel nailed his ass:

First, as I said before, I am not, nor any member of Congress that I’m aware of, Tim, is advocating defeat. That’s ridiculous, and I’m offended that any responsible member of Congress or anyone else would even suggest such a thing. Senator Lieberman talks about his children and grandchildren. We all have children and grandchildren. He doesn’t have a market on that, nor do any of my colleagues. We’re all concerned about the future of this country. But we have an honest disagreement here, and that’s what democracies are about.

No comments: