"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Mary's Baby, Again

Dan Savage goes after Mary Cheney:

Your side started it. It only serves you right that you’re going to have to finish it.

And you might want to have it all wrapped up before your kid is old enough to understand what’s being said about his family by your dad’s political allies. Take it from me, Mary: Explaining to your child, after he heard something hateful on the radio, that his family is very much “real,” that it’s not an attack on anyone else’s family, and that his parents are, in fact, fit to be his parents is as distressing and emotionally exhausting as it is unnecessary. And I blame you.


This whole episode is, to me, symptomatic of what's wrong with gay Republicans. The only balls Log Cabin ever showed was refusing to endorse Bush in 2004 -- after he had spent his entire first term enabling the Dobson Gang. (Not that I look for balls in the national gay rights organizations -- look at HRC, for crying out loud.)

OK -- Mary Cheney wants to have her cake and eat it, too. This is a surprise exactly how? She is rich and privileged and, like her father, appears to be firmly convinced that consequences are for the little people. If she wants to really come out swinging (sorry, but characterizing Dobson as someone whose endorsement she's never "drastically sought" -- and I'm still trying ro figure out what that means -- is not swinging. She did better on noting his distortions of fact, but I would have been happier if she'd just called him a liar and been done with it.), then I might be willing to listen.

Thanks to Andrew Sullivan.

No comments: