"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Mary's Baby: Dealing With The Flak

Robbie at The Malcontent posted a thoughtful (and lengthy) comment taking me to task for some of my remarks on his and GayPatriot's posts on Mary Cheney. It demands, I think, an equally thoughtful response, which I promise to do as soon as I can get myself sorted out (busy day planned today). I may leave it in the comments or transform it, through the magic of technology, into a post of its own.

That's part of the fun of being the boss.

Update:

Chris Crain has a fairly level-headed post about Mary Cheney that reflects my own take quite accurately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Cheneys are such hypocrites over this. Mary says the baby is not a political issue; Dick says Blitzer is out of line to ask about the far right's reaction to the pregnancy. That's such bullshit. Mary has been working with and for far right-wing organizations for most of her life, including a long stint at Coors trying to get the LGBT community to look past the Coors family's massive donations to fundamentalist right-wing religio-political organizations, and her employment in her father's political campaigns. She knows that every action of someone as politically plugged in as she has been will be scrutinized and analyzed from all angles, not least the pregnancy of an out lesbian in a long-term f2f relationship with no male in sight. And of course since she knew that it would be a political football, the pregnancy didn't show up until after the mid-term elections. I say it's time for people like Blitzer to get rude and pushy about it -- not that I'm holding my breath. And, now that she's working for AOL, it's one more reason for me never to touch any of their services with a barge pole.