"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fruit Salad

This is one of those posts that leaves me scratching my head, creating an opposition between polls that suggest the Republicans are losing younger voters against a poll that indicates that younger voters support Bush. (Not sure who the poster is -- Sullivan seems to have invited several guest bloggers (another vaction?) -- who are being all chatty and old friends and I missed the lead-in. Ross Duthot?)

If you mix apples and oranges, you get fruit salad.

It's easy to square the polls -- Bush is not the Republican Party, Bush has great personal magnetism and the young tend to latch onto charismatic leaders even more than most of us, and the poll seems to focus on the war, about which the young have little perspective. The Republicans have developed a fine public image for ineptitude, spinelessness, and corruption; presidents tend to be able to deflect that sort of thing until they're actually hauled before the Senate. on charges.

Q.E.D.

No comments: