"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Update: The Political DoJ

This post by Digby on the politicization of the DoJ is pretty interesting, but his final paragraph left me scratching my head:

It never really made much sense to me that of the long line of GOP corruption cases that came through the congress in past few years, the only one in which the DOJ took the unprecedented step of raiding their congressional office and seizing their papers was the lone Democrat. Very odd, don't you think?

What's odd is that he did not note the fact that there have been two raids in the past week on the offices of Republican members of Congress.

What's changed? I don't think the Democratic majority in Congress is a credible answer, unless your mind is really twisty -- sacrifices to prove that the DoJ is non-political? Far-fetched, it seems to me, although in the land of the Mayberry Machiavellis, maybe not so. I really try to resist the idea that Rove and Bush are that far out of touch with reality, but maybe desperation is an explanation. And who's going to believe it?

Digby's taking off from this post by Christy Hardin Smith at Firedoglake, which is a good summary of the situation at Justice to date (with many, many links for back-up). The NYT editorial, in particular, is, as Smith notes, a "must read." (Smith does credit the problem to the "delusional bunker mentality" of Bush loyalists.)

No comments: