"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Enforcing the Rules

Saw the beginning of this story yesterday. This is a crock:

Col. Dave Lapan, a Marine Corps spokesman, said Kokesh is under administrative review because he wore his uniform at a political event, which is prohibited. And, Lapan said, when a senior officer told Kokesh that he violated military regulations, Kokesh used an obscenity and indicated he would not comply with the rules.

"It's the political activity that is prohibited, not the type of event that it was," Lapan said. "If it had been a pro-war rally, it would still have been a violation."


I am reminded of two news stories in the past couple of years on this issue: Lt. Gen. William Boykin wearing his uniform while speaking to a group of God-freaks ("My God was bigger than his god"), and military personnel in uniform (including, I think, a Marine or two, but I don't remember it that clearly) at a political rally for Marilyn Musgrave.

Now, someone's going to trot out the theme that these are different branches of the service (Boykin is Army) and that the Marines have a different attitude about this sort fo thing. Frankly, I don't believe it. Adam Kokesh had taken the military insignia off his fatigues -- do you have any idea how many people are walking around in fatigues these days? You can get them at Sears, for crying out loud, not to mention any Arny/Navy surplus store. The Marines appear to be doing exactly what their critics are saying -- trying to punish people for protesting the war.

I'm not done with this yet, but I have to run right now. Later.

No comments: