"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, August 20, 2007

Masculinity

Which seems to be in the news lately, maybe because the right is getting desperate and needs another dead horse to beat. Read this post from Dave Neiwert (guesting at FDL) on being a stay-at-home dad.

The funny thing is that, in my own life, the less I've come to worry about my masculinity, the more others perceive me as being terrifically masculine in both a "progressive" and "conservative" sense. (The telling comment was a female friend who said, practically out of the blue, "I always think of you as a top.")

Stopped me cold for a minute. I just wasn't thinking of myself that way.

No comments: