"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, October 20, 2007

A New Public Media, A New Media Policy

Ellen P. Goodman has a challenging post at Balkinization (yeah, I know -- it's just a Balkinization kind of morning) on public media policy in the face of the growth of the Internet. I'll let her comments speak for themselves.

The irony here, however, which Goodman doesn't really address in any detail, is that we are faced with a real revolution in information flow, and the control of that revolution and the form that it will take are in the hands of the two most conservative and least flexible components of our society -- business and the government. The Net Neutrality fight is just the beginning.

Think about that.

No comments: