"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Oh, Camille! Oh, Andy! Oh, Brother!

Paglia once again demonstrates her ability to gaze longingly into her own navel (go to the second page):

This kind of partisan rancor and mutual recrimination are the sad legacy of two self-destructive administrations in a row. Bill Clinton's lies about his dalliance with Monica Lewinsky paralyzed the government and tainted his legacy, while George Bush's poor judgment and managerial ineptitude have mired us in an endless, brutal war with little chance for a happy ending.

'Scuse me, but just who made Bill Clinton's extramarital activities an issue? It wasn't Clinton, and it wasn't the American public. As for "tainting his legacy," well, Camille says so, so it must be true.

Andrew Sullivan, of course, concurs. (The irony of Sullivan's post title is exquisite.) (Update: Ezra Klein has some observations on Sullivan and the Clintons.)

I guess the stories about the Washington establishment really do have some substance. I'm also continually amused that a "cultural critic" is so completely clueless about what's going on.

I wish I could say I was surprised that Sullivan is dumb enough to fall for it.

No comments: