"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, November 05, 2007

About Those Democrats

And the votes in the Senate that have basically given Bush everything he wants -- and sometimes more.

Has it occurred to anyone that the Democrats are figuring that the next occupant of the White House will be one of their own? They have absolutely no desire to roll back presidential power.

None at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am particularly displeased with my own Senator Feinstein (and New York's Schumer) for their vote to advance Michael Mukasey's nomination as A.G., and have let her know. I don't look for any change at all unless people write, fax, e-mail and telephone their displeasure. Even then, change will be incremental at best.
Damn.

Anonymous said...

And that's what worries me. The vast expansion of the executive branch of government under this administration is a serious cause for concern. I don't want anyone, Republican or Democrat, wielding that kind of unaccountable power.

I can't say I supported the Democrats in the last election. I just wanted the Republicans to lose. We need a check, a co-equal branch of government. While I don't necessarily agree with Democratic policy on much of anything at all these days, the restoration of the system of checks and balances is one of the most vital issues of this decade and the next.

Seeing the Democrats behaving so spinelessly is disheartening. You'd think someone like me would wallow in their ineptitude, but no. I really wanted them to put up a fight. I thought a fight was exactly what was required.

I hope it's a simply case of their failing miserably. Because if all of this is intentional, then I have no idea who to vote for.

Hunter said...

I truly begin to lend credence to the idea that it's no longer a matter of Democrats vs. Republicans, but Inside-the-Beltway vs. the rest of the country.

It's really about power, and that's become all that it's about. The Beltway press, the Congress, and just about everyone else in Washington still holds the idea that the Democrats are out of power, and they haven't done anything to change that perception. In fact, they hold it themselves.

I'm still waiting for a presidential candidate I can vote for with out holding my nose.