"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, January 05, 2008

In Memoriam

Andy Olmsted, who posted occasionally at Obsidian Wings as G'Kar, has been killed in Iraq. He provided some of the most intelligent commentary on the war that I've seen. I didn't agree with a lot he said, but dammit, the man was willing to talk about it and make me reevaluate my own attitudes. That's become too rare a quality, which makes this loss even more grievous. My heart goes out to his wife and family, and to those who knew him: I've only lost the delight of finding an intelligent and thoughtful commentator. Their loss is much the greater.

He left a final post, which hilzoy has posted. Read it.

No comments: