"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Real Mike Huckabee

This is the man who claims no relationship to the Christian Reconstructionists. From TPM Election Central.:

"[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

The more he opens his mouth, the more the real Mike Huckabee slips out. (I won't even mention the arrogance of claiming to know exactly what Jehovah is thinking.)

It's instructive to compare this statement with a couple from less than a month ago. First, the outright lie:

"The key issue of real faith is that it never can be forced on someone,” Huckabee said. “And never would I want to use the government institutions to impose mine or anybody else's faith or to restrict."

I'd like to see the spin his campaign puts on that one now. Robert Farley has a good take on it at LGM:

Of course, it's a bit unclear to me what amending the Constitution to "God's standards" would require, although I presume that it wouldn't involve the banning of pork products.

And then this one:

"But the most important thing is to find out, does our faith influence our public policy and how? I've never tried to rewrite science textbooks. I've never tried to come out with some way of imposing a doctrinaire Christian perspective in a way that is really against the Constitution. I've never done that," he added.

He may never have tried to impose his beliefs in a way that violates the Constitution, but he advocates the same strategy as the Dobson Gang: if the Constitution is against you, change the Constitution.

That's not so hard to figure out.

I don't know if I want Huckabee to get the Republican nomination or not. I don't think there's a realistic chance of it -- Iowa was a blip. And, while he's unelectable in a general election, he'll bring out the Bible-thumpers in droves, which would have deletrious effects on local races and referenda.

No comments: