"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, January 14, 2008

Why Am I Still Reading Andrew Sullivan?

This post typifies why I'm about to take Andrew Sullivan off my bookmarks. I don't know whether it's a matter of my greater awareness of the insular mentality afflicting the Washington establishment -- of which he certainly is one -- or that Sullivan has just become more and more irrelevant. Here is his response to some justified criticism of his attacks on the Clintons:

No. I'm not objective on the Clintons. But it's an opinion gained from many years of observing their cynicism, shallowness, self-serving machinations and self-righteousness. And, no, I do not believe that Bill Clinton is doing what he's doing out of marital duty either. Please. We all know what Bill Clinton believes he owes his wife as a wife. But what he owes her as a political device to regain power for the two of them is another matter. And the truth is: former president Bush never trashed his son's rivals as Bill Clinton has Obama; and has kept an admirable arm's length distance from his son's administration. Bill Clinton is campaigning for himself as well right now, his own future power. He'll be in a Clinton White House, ready from Day One. And if they get there for a third term, the marital psychodrama they inflicted on us for eight long years will be with us once again.

This is just so blindly wrong that it's hard to know where to start. He criticizes the Clintons' cynicism, shallowness, etc. to start, and this is a man who supported Bush -- possibly the most cynical, most shallow, and most self-serving occupant of the White House ever -- until 2004, and then reluctantly -- very reluctantly -- withdrew his support. He still thinks the war in Iraq is justified. So Bill Clinton will have a major role in an HRC White House. When it was his White House, he did a pretty damned good job, so what's the problem there? Certainly we were better off than under the Rove White House. As for the "marital psychodrama," excuse me -- who inflicted that on us? It wasn't Bill Clinton's idea. You can thank a Republican Congress out to grab power by any means available for that one, aided and abetted by a corporate Republican press, of which Sullivan appears to be a member in good standing.

And so Andrew Sullivan is revealed as just another Republican Establishment pundit, blinders firmly in place, who expounds profoundly on things he knows very little about (his commentaries on William Saletan's race/intelligence bullshit are prime examples) because, apparently, he has an entitlement to "shape" public opinion. And, like so many others of his class, he reveals only ignorance and arrogance.

Sullivan has just lost it.

Footnote: I'm not crazy for Hillary Clinton as a possible president, but I think she'd be effective. I just don't think she's progressive enough to suit me.

No comments: