"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Offside, with occasional music

It's interesting, coming out of this viral fog, to rediscover how shallow and inconsequential most of our political discourse is. I'm trying to catch up on what's been going on while I was out of it (Musharraf lost badly in the Pakistani elections -- another great call for BushCo) and most of it, when I bounce it off my concerns and the concerns of people I know, is irrelevant.

Of course, I've been reading The Daily Dish.

We need a picture.



This one came to mind mostly because "Mount Nemo" from Danna and Clement's North of Niagara album was playing. It's that kind of music, although a little foggier. Of course, like most of my favorite landscapes, it reminds me of North Carolina.

The CD, by the way, is pretty good -- not your typical self-absorbed New Age pap at all. I reviewed it some time ago at Rambles, mostly as a reaction to some self-absorbed, etc. that I had gotten for review, and it still holds up. Danna is known largely for his film scores (he did the music for Vanity Fair, which I also reviewed), although I have several of his "personal work" CDs. Tim Clement is one of those Canadian musicians who should be better known. I haven't run across any of his solo work, and have only another collaboration, Wolfsong Night, a CD he did with guitarist Kim Deschamps, which is wild and wonderful.

At any rate, I recommend them both in whatever combinations you can find them.

(A note about Epinions: They are having severe problems with either their database or their search engine -- which has never been very good -- and half my reviews are missing. Half the stuff I've reviewed is missing. If you want to see my reviews there, I suggest you use the link in the sidebar and scroll through the listing.)

No comments: