"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, February 08, 2008

The Right in Tatters

Good column by E. J. Dionne on the split in the right.

Yet whatever divisions the Democrats face, it is the Republicans who have confronted an ideological civil war in which popular talk show hosts -- in vain as it turns out -- served as field generals determined to beat back McCain's advancing army of Republican dissidents.

Despite his impressive victories, McCain continued to fare poorly on Tuesday among the conservatives who have defined the Republican Party since the rise of Ronald Reagan.

McCain won, as he has all year, because moderates and liberals, opponents of President Bush, and critics of the Iraq war continued to rally to him despite his stands on many of the issues that arouse their ire. And he prevailed because Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney continued to divide the right.


I have to admit that I'm enjoying the meltdown in Right Loonistan. I mean, those are a scary bunch of people, and they've done immense damage to the country. The Democrats may have forgotten how to govern, but at least they believe in America. I'll be just as happy if Dobson and Coulter and their ilk do sit out the election. Neither Obama nor Clinton could possibly be worse than Bush's third term.

Thanks to Mahablog.

No comments: