"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday Gay Blogging, Part I

Yes, you guessed it -- this week's lead story is Oklahoma state representative Sally Kern, whom I touched on in last week's FGB. It's turned out to be the major gay story of the week. Rep. Kern managed to come up with one of the most fact-free, hate-filled screeds I've heard in a long time. You can listen to it here, but I warn you, its fairly stomach turning.

Let's get one thing clear right off the bat: There is no "fact" in her screed that bears up under scrutiny. She's merely spouting "research" by Paul Cameron and "facts" from the likes of Peter LaBarbera and Matt Barber under the guise of "belief." Not a word of objective reality in it.

Everyone has been commenting on this, and as you might expect, the overwhelming majority of the comments have been negative -- except for Kern's Republican colleagues in the Oklahoma house, who gave her a standing ovation.

Oh, and on that note, I checked a couple of "conservative" gay blogs -- or at least, blogs by right-of-center gay bloggers -- namely Andrew Sullivan and GayPatriot. Both were so busy with Clinton-bashing that I guess they missed the story. Or maybe they can't think of anything to say. Or maybe they just want it to go away. GayPatriot, in particular, still seems to be locked into its "Repubicans can do no wrong" mindset. There's even another post on "the Democrats' culture of corruption."

Here are Jim Burroway's comments at Box Turtle Bulletin. I found this observation particularly telling:

Kern also tried to explain that she aimed her remarks to the “homosexual activists” — you know, the ones with the agenda — and not the ordinary gays and lesbians who are just minding their own business:

I have made clear my opposition to the agenda of homosexual activists, but I have never endorsed or supported any hateful action targeting individuals on the other side of this debate and never will.


You can almost hear the word “uppity” there, can’t you?


Do I really have to add anything?

Joe.My.God did follow-up with this choice bit:

Kern said many of those who sent her electronic messages would deny her right to free speech.

"To put this simply: As a Christian I believe homosexuality is not moral," she said. "Obviously, you have the right as an American to choose that lifestyle, but I also have the right to express my views, and my fellow Oklahomans have the right to debate these issues."


Once again we get the shallow, sex-obsesssed "Christian" idea of "morality." And do note the immediate appeal to "free speech." What is it about Christianists that makes them think they can say or do anything they want without consequences, and that if anyone criticizes them, their fundamental rights are being violated? Equally expected, there were allegations of death threats. Not.

Note: I did find a working link to the Letter from Tucker that I posted yesterday. It's in the comments at the post on Channel 9 news. I got it from a thread at EA Forums, which you can find here. There's not a lot of discussion at the thread, because even though the members cover the full ideological range politically, they're all pretty much down on spreading hate. The prevailing attitude seems to be contempt for Sally Kern, ideally phrased by participant thinkerlady: "Well, it is like I said, I don't want to know her."

Oops -- there will be more Gay Blogging, chilluns, but I have to run right now. See you later.

Update:

Here's recap from Towleroad. Some choice bits in there -- the woman's really quotable, and every time she opens her mouth she sounds like a stupid bigot.

Kern's remarks, and her reaction to the criticism of those remarks, is a perfect capsule of attitudes on the part of the anti-gay right. To recap: ignorance trumps fact as long as you claim it's part of your "beliefs"; any criticism of your hate speech is an infringement on your right to free speech and an attack on Christianity; if you say "I don't hate homosexuals," that absolves you of any responsibility for the filth coming out of your mouth; any attempt by gays to gain recognition of their rights, on the other hand, is a nefarious plot to destroy the country; and any mention of homosexuality that is neutral or positive is "ramming it down our throats," while ramming your own attitudes down our throats is "dialogue."

The comments on Towle's post are interesting, including the obligatory contention that incidents such as this should be ignored. I don't agree: people like Kern must be challenged at every opportunity. People aren't going to research these things for themselves -- if they keep hearing the Dobsons, LaBarberas, Hutchersons, and their fellow-travelers and don't hear anyone else, the lies become "true." No -- can't let that happen.

I also want to point out something that Tucker mentioned in his letter: comments like Kern's have real results for real people -- ask Simmie Williams or Lawrence King about Kern's "free speech" and "Christian" beliefs. Oh, sorry -- it's too late for them, thanks to people like Sally Kern.

No comments: