"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What Is It We're Fighting For, Again?

This post from Shark-Fu at Angry Black Bitch is worth looking at. I can sympathize. I even agree with most of it.

It's a good thing, every once in a while, to sit down and think about what the foundation of these rants I do actually is. Shark-Fu hit it.

I think my major objection to the Republican party and the conservative movement in its present incarnation is simply that we have a fundamental differenceof opinion on the role of government. They seem to think that the government should spend our money helping those who already have too much, while interfering in the lives of citizens to conform to a minority of idea of "morality." I think government should butt out of most things, particularly people's private lives, and if it's going to interfere, interfere on the side of making life livable for as many as possible.

I can't believe that in the richest country on earth not everyone has health care and that kids go to bed hungry at night. That kills me.

One illustration of the difference is this "argument" offered in favor of retroactive immunity for telecoms by a realiable source of Republican talking points: If they get sued, my phone bills will go up.

Is it any wonder I tend to think of the right as selfish and greedy? (Not to mention terminally short-sighted.) I mean, how completely solipsistic can you get? This is the role of government: to keep her phone bills from going up. You want your phone bills to stay reasonable? Encourage competition, not corporate oligarchy.

.

No comments: