"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday Gay Blogging, Part II (Interlude)


A couple more stories I picked up during the week.

Waldo Lydecker gives an overview of the gay season on TV.

For the rest of us who've spent- well, some of us of a certain age- a really really long time never expecting to see anything like our lives portrayed honestly and respectfully anywhere, it's kinda nice to have lived this long.

Waldo also gives us Boston Globe TV critic Matthew Gilbert noting that -- well, that there's nothing much to note:

Actually, no. The wedding of Kevin and Scotty isn't a controversial network milestone, like those early gay and lesbian kisses on the likes of "Dawson's Creek" and "Roseanne." Indeed, it's no big deal at all. ABC has deemed a gay commitment ceremony a sweeps event; no advertisers are pulling out and no hate campaigners are shooting arrows, according to ABC; and life goes on.

Despite the decade's fraught politics about gay unions, the subject is not exactly making for incendiary TV in 2008. While gay marriage can still be a polarizing political issue, the realities of gay life - coming out, kissing, weddings - have become normalized in popular culture enough to pass by almost unnoticed on prime time.


It sort of matches my reaction to Shelter, if from a slightly different perspective:

I'm not sure it's up to all the hype, but I enjoyed it, if for no other reason than that I was really in the mood for a nice "boy meets boy" story. It's really pretty interesting on a number of levels, first and foremost, I think, simply from the fact that it was made at all: a pretty much standard-issue romantic drama about two guys who fall in love. Think about that: five years ago, no one would have considered making this movie. I think we're living in a post-Brokeback world.

Another anti-gay religious freak gets hers. I don't remember whether I commented on this story recently, but here's a good summary/update from Joe.My.God.

She is, needless to say, the latest "martyr" of the far right. Here's a link to her original rant. It's full of the same tired old lies and misrepresentations, with a good leavening of holly-rollerisms.

No comments: