"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

This post by hilzoy brought it home to me. I'm swiping this image of Andy Olmsted from hilzoy: I was going to insist you go to her post and look at it, but I want to take away her context. You can read her post later. For now, I just want you to look at that lively, intelligent, good-humored face and then remember that he's dead.



I suppose I could go into a long post about death and dying and the reasons we sacrifice ourselves, but I'd rather you look at that picture and think about it yourselves, on your own terms, in your own frame of reference. I'm not going to make any suggestions as to your approach. Just think your own thoughts.

And remember.

No comments: