"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Post-Ideological World

From Andrew Sullivan, this comment by a reader. Sullivan finished up by saying, "For me, it's about a man and this moment. It's no longer about ideology."

I think, quite inadvertently, Sullivan has put his finger on what Obama means, and what this election means: it's no longer about ideology. Call Obama the first post-ideological candidate. If he is able to shape the Democratic platform -- and based on his performance to date, he will do just that -- we're going to see a sharp split between the Democrats and Republicans, not in terms of "liberal" versus "conservative," but in terms of blind adherence to "conservative policies" and an innovative, entrepreneurial approach to making goverment work. The question will become who the government is working for. I think we've seen one answer already, and the people don't seem to like it very much.

If this happens, expect to see a lot of people switching parties over the next few years. But this is the most likely course of the realignment that some commentators have been talking about.

No comments: