"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, June 09, 2008

A brief marriage note

This article from WaPo on the possible outcomes of the November vote in California is pretty much predictable. This quote, however, struck me:

The unpredictability of the situation, along with the potential legal tangles, should make same-sex couples think twice about walking down the isle, said Ron Prentice, steering committee chairman of ProtectMarriage.com, the coalition behind the ballot measure.

"I think there would be wisdom in counting the cost of rushing into marriage prior to the people's vote in November," he said. "Legal expertise comes down on both sides, but both statewide and nationally, these few months will provide a few years of legal turmoil and will certainly go to the courts again."


Yes, well of course opponents of same-sex marriage are going to urge people not to get married. That's their worst nightmare, thousands of happy and very public gay marriages standing against their mean-spirited bigotry.

By the same token, I would urge everyone who's considering it to get married before November, to have that weight of public opinion against the amendment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tsk. And here I thought he was talking about honeymoon choices:
"walking down the isle"