"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, June 14, 2008

FGB Saturday: Big Discussion on Marriage


This group of posts first came to my attention through this post by Andrew Koppelman, responding to David Benkof, who was responding to Koppelman. (It's all very civilized, and I wish some of the people I respond to would do me the courtesy.). The immediate subject is fairly specialized (interstate recognition of same-sex marriages) and may or may not be of interest. We'll see.

However, I of course checked out Benkof's blog. The title should have tipped me off: "Gays Defend Marriage." It's described as "A website for LGBT folks who support marriage as the union of husband and wife—and getting the gay leadership to return to more pressing LGBT issues for our community." If you've been following FGB here, you'll have noticed that this sort of thing seems to be rearing its head more and more frequently. Let me make it very clear: I support the right to marry for everyone because I support equal treatment under the law. Period. Unless there is what the courts call "a compelling state interest," you're going to have to do some pretty spectacular reasoning to convince me otherwise. This does not mean, however, that I don't recognize the importance of ENDA, the repeal of DADT, and guarantees of basic civil rights to gay citizens across the country. Please explain to me why suddenly we're only able to do one thing at a time, since we've been working on all of the above for the past forty years. And I might point out that the "gay leadership" has been working on those "more pressing" issues, with results that we can all applaud (cue crickets). It appears that marriage, for those who've been hiding under a rock for the past decade and a half, is the fight we have, so let's fight it, mmkay?

Nevertheless, I decided to give Benkof a look, thinking maybe there is someone who really has some logical, rational, reasonable and secular arguments against same-sex marriage. I started with Benkof's post on whether marriage is a civil right.

Well, here we go again. Benkof notes that "The United States Supreme Court, for example, has never found a right to same-sex marriage in the text of the Constitution." True. I defy him to find a right to marriage for anyone in the text of the Constitution. He won't, I promise you. This is something that lawyers don't like to deal with, but there are a whole host of rights that are assumed in the Constitution, as evidenced by the Ninth Amendment, which was included specifically to point out that those rights enumerated in the previous eight amendments are not the sum total that the Founders expected the government to recognize. The Supreme Court did find, in Loving v. Virginia, that the right to marry is a fundamental right; if you're going to grant that, and I think you must, then it necessarily follows that the right to civil marriage is one that belongs to all, not just a select group -- absent, of course, the aforementioned "compelling" reason to withhold it. (I know it's irritating to have to keep reading that, but the minute I don't put it in, some screwball is going to start pointing and yelling.)

So, Benkof manages to fall flat on his face right at the beginning. The fault here is one shared by such as Antonin Scalia, which is simply that the question is fined down in such a way as to produce a foregone conclusion: sorry, boys, but the quesion is not whether there is a right to same-sex marriage, but whether there is a right to marriage. The courts say there is. If I'm going to be persuaded that same-sex marriage should be a special case, I need to see some pretty tight reasoning employed, and I mean something that goes beyond "tradition." Benkof doesn't deliver.

He ends his post with this cute little story:

Personally, I like the approach to this question of a bright law professor and liberal activist from Illinois who said in 2004 that “I don’t think marriage is a civil right” while at the same time attacking gay-bashing and supporting workplace protections from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. He’s done very well for himself since then - in fact, he’s the presumptive Democratic nominee for President of the United States. That fact alone is probably the civil rights achievement of the century. If it’s good enough for Barack Obama, it’s good enough for me.

Well, it's not good enough for me. (And, as you may have gathered, Obama was wrong about marriage not being a civil right, too. And he, of all people, should have known better.)

I will be looking at some more of Benkof's writings here over the next couple of days. He has posts about the California case, religious freedom, and Loving, and so it may be worth our while to take a poke here and there and see what squirms. I may even get back to Koppelman's post and that whole discussion, although it still seems a little specialized.

Update: On second thought, I just read through Berkof's post on the religious freedom aspect of the marriage debate. OK, this guy is your standard issue right wingnut. Benkof offers a completely specious argument in favor of religious belief being a determining factor in the marriage debate, because, among other reasons, Barack Obama says that religious beliefs should enter into the discussion. Apparently Benkof forgot one little detail: the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. He apparently can't see the difference between activism based on religious belief and writing sectarian doctrine into the law.

Benkof displays a marked tendency to argue from authority, which those of you who have any familiarity with reasoned debate know is at best iffy. In scientific discussions, you're automatically disqualified. It's not that authority said it that counts, it's what they said and how it holds up to scrutiny. All of which is by way of saying that Benkof doesn't seem to have an argument and knows it, so Barack Obama's personal opinion is going to have to take its place.

I doubt that I'll waste any more time on this clown.

5 comments:

David Benkof said...

For someone who claims to prefer "civilized" discourse, it seems very strange that you would call me a "wingnut" and a "clown."

Some of your arguments are cogent, some less so, and I have responses to them all. But I don't see the point in trying to dialogue with someone who hurls epithets at me and who has announced up front that he doesn't want to "waste [his] time on" me.

One more point, though. You write that marriage is the fight we have, so let's fight it. Fair enough. But in the marriage debate, I am one of the opponents you have, so according to your logic, you should debate me. If I'm such a clown, it would be easy for you to win, no?

I have already had op-eds on marriage in nine of the 25 largest metropolitan dailies, including four of the 10 largest. This week, I have two different op-eds in major newspapers - one in Florida and one in New England.

Andrew Koppelman thinks my ideas are worth responding to. So does Dan Savage and Kevin Naff, the editor of the Washington Blade.

Oh, and I've heard of all them. I've never heard of you. So if you refuse to dialogue with me and decide to call me names instead, I guess I can live with that.

Hunter said...

Civilized discourse doesn't necessarily preclude some name-calling when the provocation is great enough, as it was in this instance. I readily admit it's not one of my more endearing traits, but in point of fact, I did go back and tone it down. I should have toned it down more.

And I see that you're falling back on the argument from authority: you have had OpEds in all sorts of major papers, and other people with wider readership than mine responded to your ideas, and besides, you've never heard of me. I guess that clinches it -- I must not exist. (And, at the risk of donning the "epithet hurler" mantle again, but doesn't that line of argument strike you as rather childish?)

None of which addresses the substance of anything I said, nor does it reinforce the validity of your arguments (William Kristol writes for NYT, and he hasn't been right about anything in at least a decade), which only tends to reinforce my opinion. (And I might point out that Koppelman observed that you "fuzz the issue.")

I'm open to an interchange, and I'll even curb my tongue, but you're going to have to come up with something more persuasive (and more accurate -- there are some glaring misstatements of fact in your essay on religious freedom). Until then, you're just another right-wing gay marriage opponent who can't come up with a clear reason to oppose equal marriage rights.

David Benkof said...

Hunter-

Again, very strange. You criticize me for not adressing the substance of what you've said, all the while giving not a single example of the "glaring misstatements of fact" you claim to have found in one of my blog posts on religious freedom. Everyone makes mistakes, and I will certainly correct any factual errors on my Web site. But claiming someone misstates the facts is much easier than documenting those errors.

I'm tempted to go ahead and respond to your substantive criticisms of my arguments. But "I'm open to an interchange, and I'll even curb my tongue, but you're going to have to come up with something more persuasive" just isn't good enough. I have no illusions I will ever persuade you that same-sex marriage is a bad idea. If we dialogue, my goal will be to persuade third parties who read our exchange who are undecided, not to persuade you.

I mean, you're claiming I somehow provoked you into calling me a wingnut and a clown. I just don't think you're ready for civilized dialogue. If anybody reading this blog wants to ask me about any of Hunter's points, I'd be happy to respond to them at GaysDefendMarriage.com.

Hunter said...

Re: "misstatements of fact" -- I probably should have said "misrepresentations," such as your statement that "No intelligent defender of the traditional definition of marriage is going around scaring people into believing that churches will be forced to marry same-sex couples." I suppose that hinges on your definition of "intelligent," which would seem to exclude by definition anyone who has used that particular tactic. Very neat -- you must be a lawyer.

You're quite correct that you probably won't persuade me that same-sex marriage is a bad idea, because I've been paying attention to this issue for several years, have read most of the relevant court decisions, many newspaper articles and blog posts, and have yet to see an argument that satisfies my requirement that it be based on the considerations of civil law and, believe it or not, a fairly strict interpretation of the Constitution. Religious arguments seem to boil down to "my interpretation of scripture must prevail over every other consideration," which in a pluralistic society is simply not acceptable. (What about my religious beliefs, after all?) What I've seen of your arguments doesn't break that mold at all. I suspect that your main complaint, aside from a bruised ego, is that I refuse to accept your definitions. We probably don't have much common ground at all.

Regrettably, even though you've never heard of me, I have very heavy writing commitments this week and can't really take the time to address the issues you raise in your posts. If there is to be an exchange, it's going to have to wait. Sad -- it would be good exercise for my analytic abilities, which get bogged down in figuring out what fiction actually means.

And I'll see your "wingnut and clown" and raise you "not ready for civilized dialogue." Let ad hominem rule.

Hunter said...

For the benefit of David Benkof and anyone else who's been following this exchange, it seems that I don't have to take the time to debunk Benkof's claims: Timothy Kincaid at Box Turtle Bulletin has done it for me.

I admit I had heard of Benkof before I commented on his posts, but only in passing. I wish I had known more about him at the time: it turns out that "wingnut" and "clown" may not have been strong enough.

I do recommend that everyone read Kincaid's report -- it's very thorough and seems to demonstrate quite conclusively that Benkof is even more marginal that I had suspected.

After all, anyone whose main point of attack is "I never heard of you" doesn't have much credibility to begin with.