"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Journey, YouTube and Me

I've been living and breathing Journey for the past month, maybe more. The story is, a friend and co-worker asked if I had any Journey (I think I'd brought Foreigner's The Best of the Best and Beyond to work) and I didn't. I did once upon a time, but all my pop albums were stolen (don't ask -- it's long and complicated and involves someone I'd just as soon forget). So I picked up a copy of Journey's Greatest Hits, since I can't afford to replace all the vinyl I lost with CDs and the "best of" albums can be a good stop gap.

There's a particular song on the disc -- "Faithfully" -- that has sort of crept up on me. I find that happens with a really superior band: I keep finding new things to love about them. And, as it happens (call it synchronicity) I was poking around YouTube for quite a different reason and decided to see what they had from Journey. Wound up opening an account.

At any rate, here's "Faithfully" from a concert in Japan in 1983 with Steve Perry fronting. (The 1983 "official" video is not embeddable.)



And of course, now that I have a YouTube account, you may be getting all sorts of goodies -- I have to see if they have any clips of Placido Domingo singing Tristan.

No comments: