"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, October 24, 2008

Dump Dobson

I'm not putting this under FGB today because it has much broader application. I've mentioned it before, in relation to an exchange I had with the Chicago Reader about an article on Bruce DuMont, the Radio Hall of Fame, and Dobson's induction. (The discussion there is still going on, by the way, and the comments are certainly worth reading.)

Here's Wayne Besen's column on it, in which he puts the problem in a nutshell:

I once had a revealing conversation with an A-list news reporter, when I was trying to convince him to cover the scientific distortions of Focus on the Family's James Dobson. He declined to do so because he felt that Dobson lies so frequently that it wasn't news.

Dobson's dishonesty was the nut of what I pointed out to Deanna Isaacs, who wrote the article in the Reader: Dobson's a liar, it's documented exhaustively, and she didn't hold DuMont's feet to the fire on the fact that he was installing a known liar in the National Radio Hall of Fame after the results of an online vote. Of course, the NRHF doesn't have all that shining a reputation anyway -- as Andrew Patner points out in his comment.

Needless to say, as the time for Dobson's "induction" draws near, the issue is heating up again.

No comments: