"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lord what fools. . . .

I love freedom of speech. It allows the Dennis Pragers of the world to make total fools of themselves. I'm not really surprised that there are people like Prager running around -- there are always people who will do and say anything for a buck or some notoriety. What amazes me is that there are people who will believe what the Pragers say.



What's really repulsive about this is the applause. What are these people thinking? (Update: I just discovered that Prager was a a Michelle Bachmann rally -- so we know they weren't thinking.

And the refutation of Prager's remarks is so easy -- check out Frick's post for the first two examples that come to mind. I'm sure you can think of more.

It's tempting to say Prager has made dishonesty into an art, but there are so many who are so much better at it that I can't even credit him with any competence.

But then, competence isn't a conservative value, from what we've seen recently.

(Note: It took some linking to get back to the video; this one came to me via The Washington Monthly, to them via Oliver Willis, and from thence to Think Progress, which is the link above. One comment relative to the comments at Willis' post: if Prager was talking about economic equality, he should have said so. He's no more an economist than he is political philosopher -- he's just a rabble-rousing blowhard -- so that context is just wishful thinking.)

No comments: