"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Update on Rauch on Connecticut

A little footnote to Jonathan Rauch's comment that the marriage strategy is "exhausted and counterproductive": according to a report from Connecticut,

A new poll says 53 percent of Connecticut residents support last week's state Supreme Court ruling that legalized gay and lesbian marriages.

42% oppose it. When you think about what the numbers most likely would have been even five years ago, for a tired old strategy, it doesn't seem all that counterproductive to me. It certainly seems more productive than waiting around for the majority to decide that it's time we were allowed to marry.

This seems to be what Rauch favors:



Thanks to Andrew Sullivan.

No comments: