"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Down

OK -- Obama won,but somehow I'm not feeling it today. I may post after the final results on Prop 8 are in. I didn't realize I had that much invested in one ballot measure in another state, but I guess I did. I'm not happy right now. It doesn't look good.

This is America: lies and money will win.

Update: In light of the comment by reader PietB, I'll offer this:

Yes, I am angry, too. Very angry. I'm going to make comments here that will probably land me on someone's list of intemperate name-calling liberals. So be it.

Point one: I find it barely credible that individuals and organizations who claim to represent "values" and "morality" would resort so readily, as Piet pointed out, to dishonest and dishonorable means. They lied. That's it, and I'm not going to waste time and energy being circumspect and soft-spoken about it. They lied. And again, they lied. I find it completely unbelievable that they have been rewarded for those lies by the voters of Florida, Arizona, and California.

Second: I'm told that the fundamental tenet of Christianity is "Caritas." I think it's fortunate for supporters of Proposition 8 (and Proposition 102 and Amendment 2, as well) that Jesus is a god of forgiveness. They might do well to reflect on the fact that so many young people see Christianity, and especially born-again, fundamentalist, evangelical Christianity, as a negative force in society, and to think about their part in that perception.

And then look at themselves in the mirror.

3 comments:

Barry Deutsch said...

I'm feeling pretty devastated by this. I'm so furious at everyone who voted for prop 8... I wish they had a single face so I could spit in it.

The only silver lining I can see is that in 8 years, California voters have moved from 61% against equal marriage to (if current standings last) 52% against. That's a hell of a big movement for just 8 years. This vote was a few years too early, but time is on our side.

Hunter said...

Thanks, Barry. "Devastated" is, I think, the right word. I'm sitting here rehearsing to myself "New York and New Jersey next year, Vermont the year after."

It looks like we still have to look to the Northeast for affirmations of freedom.

Anonymous said...

Aside from agreeing with both of you, I have an extra layer of fury against the Knights of Columbus and the Mormon Church who, between them, provided the bulk of the financing and, in the case of the Mormons, created the bulk of the dishonest and misleading advertising that blanketed the state for the last three months. I think it's really, seriously, time to take away the tax exemptions enjoyed by religious institutions in this country for the last two hundred-some years and hit them with the same property taxes paid by other corporate bodies. If they are going to interfere in the political process, especially if they are going to do so from as far away as Salt Lake City, they need to admit as much. Fury doesn't even begin to describe the depth of my anger and disappointment.