"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, December 08, 2008

Speaking of John Cole

As I believe I was -- well, I mentioned him, at least. Anyway, this post is wonderful:

Which is why, of course, when we are dealing with issues that involve the religious right, we so often come into problems. If they would at least make an effort to couch their arguments in logic and reason, rather than quoting scripture or providing arguments from their God, we might be able to better find common ground. As it is, tell me a certain public policy should be so because your religious beliefs make anything else a sin, and I will respond with a shrug and work to elect people to do the opposite of what you want.

Basically, it boils down to this- if I wanted to live in accordance to rules as set by your faith, I would join your church. Until then, until you see me sitting two pews over on Sunday morning, just assume that I really don’t care what your God thinks. I don’t want the rules of your faith imposed upon me by the government, just as I do not desire the government telling me to live under the rules of Cardinal Ratzinger, the Church of Latter Day Saints, Sharia law, Wiccan rules, Buddhist tenets, and on and on and on. Nor do I think you should have to lives under laws that force you to adhere to the religious principles of someone else.


This kind of thinking -- the religious right kind -- is why those who keep trying to find common ground are doomed to lives of torture and frustration: there is no common ground. The religious right will not permit it. If anyone hasn't figured that out after a couple of generations, I don't know what to say.

If you think I'm overstating the case, look again at the pastoral letter from Cardinal Roger Mahony of Los Angeles, or this statement by Archbishop George Niederauer of San Francisco. How much room do they actually leave for compromise, after you've discarded the false assumptions and pruned out the double-talk?

No comments: