"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, December 28, 2008

What Digby Said

With a nod to Atrios.

This is a wonderfully thoughtful, reasoned commentary that relates directly to this week's FGB post. It's all about the idea that we should respect opposiing viewpoints, and I think Digby hits it right on the head:

As Ezra says, it's not enough that everyone has their views "respected" in any case. I don't even know what that means when it comes to fundamental issues of freedom, liberty, faith, duty etc. Of course I respect everyone's right to their beliefs and I will fight the proverbial fight for them to be allowed to express them. But I don't have to respect every view that comes down the pike and I certainly don't have to willingly make room in my political coalition for people to enact their agenda if it goes against what I believe in. Why would anyone think I should?

That, I think, is the trap that Obama's fallen into with this whole Rick Warren thing -- not just the invocation, but his whole relationship. Frankly, in my book, Warren's opinions aren't worthy of respect, being based as they are on ignorance and malice. His right to express them? Of course -- that's a no-brainer.

And on that note, check out the comments at this post by Pam Spaulding, taking off from yet another piece of wimpy drivel by James Kirchik. The Blenders get it -- Kirchik doesn't.

No comments: