"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Morality and Religion



Interesting report from the Telegraph about the possible origins of morality.

Although morality has always been viewed as a human trait that sets us apart from the animals, it now appears our closest ancestors share the same scruples.

Scientists have that discovered monkeys and apes can make judgements about fairness, offer sympathy and help and remember obligations.

Researchers say the findings may demonstrate morality developed through evolution, a view that is likely to antagonise the devoutly religious, who see it as God-given.


I've been saying all along that morality is a matter of social context and that there are basic norms that develop in any social group as a means of keeping the group stable and viable -- i.e., it's not nice to kill the neighbors -- which this seems to support. It's no real surprise: anyone who's followed the work of the major ape researchers knows that the bases of many human behaviors and institutions are to be found there. If you subscribe to the idea that behavior can be a selective advantage for evolution, which I do, then it's even less of a surprise.

I love stuff like this. I want to see fundamentalist heads explode when this gets out.

No comments: