"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Light

I got a new lamp, and now I have to go out an buy a light bulb. It will, of course, be a new, energy-saving compact fluorescent. Something occurred to me as I'm considering this venture: they do burn out, and I have no idea how to dispose of them. They have mercury in them -- I can't just throw them in the trash.

And do you think vendors provide any sort of information like that? Of course not. I realize "corporate responsibility" is an oxymoron, but they're selling the damned things -- I think it's to a certain degree incumbent on them to make sure we know how to use them and dispose of them, which is much easier for a local seller than a national manufacturer.

I'm sure the information is out there somewhere, but I have to dig it up, as soon as I figure out where to look. The problem is that most people won't bother -- they'll just toss the dead ones in the trash and they will wind up poisoning the landfill, of which there is too much to begin with. At least the city, which regulates these things, should be a little proactive on it.

Why is life so damned complicated?

No comments: