"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Morality

The nativist "Americans" who are against immigration, illegal or otherwise (all of whose ancestors were immigrants), seem to share a certain world view with their fellow travelers in the Republican party. (I don't think any of these people are Democrats, although perhaps the day is coming.) They share with the anti-gay religious nuts and the forced-birth "right to life" contingent a casual disregard for human life that I find chilling.

Here's an example, via Dave Neiwert at Crooks and Liars. You can watch the video if you've the stomach for it. Here's a bit of the commentary by the first "interviewee":

Baron: I say, give orders to shoot to kill, and kill any man, woman or child who comes across the border illegally. I'll bet you, you kill enough of them, right off the bat, people will stop coming over that way.

[Questioner]

That's what I just said. Personally, I think a minefield would be good. Why build a fence when you can plant some mines?

Q: You just said that you would kill kids.

Baron: If they're being drug across the border, hell yes. The difference between those people and us -- Our country is No. 1. Theirs? Pffft!


These are the people Sarah Palin appeals to. This is the Republican base.

Is it any wonder that I no longer can in good conscience support Republican candidates for office?

No comments: