"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Obama's Civil Rights Agenda

I meant to post this yesterday and forgot. (I overslept -- do you believe it? Me?)

Very odd post by a guest blogger, Alexander Tsesis, at Balkinization on Obaman's civil rights agenda. Note the complete inability to see the elephant in the room. Although health care is included, and food stamps for ex-felons are included (can you ever, in this country, be an "ex-felon"?), there is no mention, aside from the hate crimes bill, of the major civil rights issue of the decade: GLBT rights. No mention of DADT repeal, no mention of DOMA, no mention of the Uniting American Families Act, no mention of transgender rights at all.

Perhaps this means, as I have begun to suspect, that Obama has no "civil rights agenda."

No comments: