"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How Soon They Forget

From Charles Mudede at The Slog, an illuminating look at our president's take on the free press:

"I am concerned that if the direction of the news is all blogosphere, all opinions, with no serious fact-checking, no serious attempts to put stories in context, that what you will end up getting is people shouting at each other across the void but not a lot of mutual understanding," he said.

Mudede says, "Recall Plato, recall what he hated most: doxa, opinion."

See Obama, faithfully and thoughtfully expressing the opinions of the corporate press.

May I hold up the likes of Talking Points Memo, Orcinus, Hullaballoo, Dispatches from the Culture Wars? Against the likes of Thomas Friedman, David Brooks, William Kristol, Maureen Dowd, NYT, WaPo?

Jeebus.

No comments: