"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

MIA

I know. I've been on hiatus, and then was felled by a very bad intestinal bug for a week and am only just coming back. I have been following the testimony in the Prop 8 trial as much as I've been able, though (except for that lost week), and now that the defendants have started fielding their "expert" witnesses, it's starting to look enough like a slam-dunk to scare me.

The pro-8 side's first witness, Prof. Kenneth Miller, imploded. It quickly became obvious that he's no expert on discrimination against gays and lesbians, doesn't know the context of the gay rights movement or its history, has only the fuzziest idea of how widespread institutionalized discrimination is, and basically doesn't know what he's talking about.

The next witness is David Blankenhorn, due to take the stand this afternoon. This is the one I wish I could see. He's to testify on gay parenting. (Remember, this is the man who claimed that the UN Convention on the Rights of Children said that every child has the right to be raised by his/her biological parents, which it doesn't say.) I really want to see what he brings up as testimony. The plaintiff's team is good enough and on top of things enough that I expect them to reduce him to pulp in short order, simply because he's a blowhard who makes things up.

I may be back from time to time. I'm really busy writing right now,and the news is the same -- but then, what can you expect, when the White House and Congress are still controlled by the Republicans? So I don't have much to say about that.

No comments: