"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, February 22, 2010

There's Actually A Reason

I've been away for a couple of days -- I've been playing computer geek with my new laptop, getting it set up and all, complicated by the fact that it won't let me download anything -- software, videos, images, nothing -- from the web. Fortunately, it came with stuff like Adobe Reader, but I need BitTorrent, an FTP, and most of all, Firefox. (I really miss Firefox.) This is probably Microsoft's fault, although they swear it's Norton. We'll see.

I'm still investigating what I do have -- just discovered I can run slide shows of images on a disc or in a folder with just a click.

I still have to see if I can run my ancient version of Photoshop and my almost equally ancient scanner. And I'm really having a time adjusting to this tiny keyboard. But otherwise, I'm very happy.

I also rewarded myself for coming in under budget with my first DVD -- Loveless, of course. I hadn't watched it in a while, ever since it got pulled from YouTube -- it's still almost perfect. And Best Buy had it for less than Amazon. (I actually have two DVDs, but one's a review copy, so it doesn't really count.)

What's best, though, is that I can get up and take a break from writing or surfing or whatever and I don't have to reboot when I come back.

No comments: