"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Beyond Homophobia

It's just inhumanity.  I'm sure you've seen this story.  I'm not going to quote the summary the way everyone else is doing -- you can read it at the link.

I am going to say something that no one else seems to be saying:  this goes way beyond simple  homophobia (if such a murky and tangled disease can ever be called "simple).  This is unadulterated and gratuitous cruelty.

I really, truly hope that Greene bankrupts the county and everyone involved is blacklisted from ever working in social services again.  But then, I'm not always a very nice person.

Does anyone need any further evidence that we need to have our relationships recognized nationwide?

Update:  Here's a post with more context.  And even more from NYT.  And, from Joe.My.God, more detail, more links.  It's chilling.

As one if the commenters at J.M.G. points out, we're only seeing the complaint -- half the story.  However, the charges are so outrageous that I doubt very much that there's no basis -- you don't get to first base filing a complaint like on nothing, and the NCLR is not an organization to go off half-cocked.  I'd like to see if any criminal charges come out of this, because if there's any truth at all to the allegations, there are criminal violations here.

 

No comments: