"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, April 09, 2010

I Thought I Was Joking

Noticed this post at Crooks and Liars, quoting Mackenzie Eaglen, a defense analyst with the Heritage Foundation from this article at Military trimes (you know where this is going, don't you?):

The Nuclear Posture Review unnecessarily takes sovereign U.S. options off the table when responding to various types of chemical or biological attacks.

Americans intuitively understand the flaw in this approach. Special agent Jack Bauer of "24" had to thwart terrorists attempting to steal nerve gas. If this had actually occurred, the President should not tie one hand behind the nation's back when evaluating the appropriate response to defend American citizens.


Question 1: So we're supposed to nuke thieves now? Doesn't this strike you as overkill?

Question 2: You do understand that 24 was fiction, don't you?

It's the answer to the second question that worries me. I've made references in the past to the fact that right-wingers have a tenuous relationship with objective reality, but for some chicken hawk to seriously base an argument on nuclear policy on a TV action thriller? I mean, mostly I was talking about the Christianist theocrats, who don't seem to have much of a grasp of anything that's really going on in the world, but it seems to be a problem throughout the right: they start believing their own bullshit.

No comments: