"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Maybe Even Illinois

My standing joke is, in the event I get married, I would most likely have to go to Iowa. "Can you imagine how embarassing it would be for a Chicagoan, a resident of one of the major cultural capitals of the world, to admit that he had to go to Iowa to marry his husband?"

Well, it ain't just me. Here's state rep. Deb Mell, announcing her engagement:



She got some congratulations, too.



We have a civil unions bill stalled in committee in the Assembly, and a marriage bill, introduced by my senator, Heather Steans, stalled in committee in the Senate. It's sort of sad that in the first state to repeal it's sodomy laws in 1961, we can't move a little more quickly on this. They can't blame it on the Republicans any more -- they're no longer in control of the Legislature. So what gives?

No comments: