"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, May 13, 2010

It's Military Day at Hunter at Random

 OK, this is funny --



Too many gay bloggers are sitting there asking if it's offensive.  We've gotten too conditioned to the idea that anything straights do about us is offensive in some way -- take it as the worst part of identity politics, this reflexive defensiveness about "outsiders" referencing us in any way that doesn't reek of solemnity for the justice of our cause.  My advice to them:  get over yourselves.  If you want to be accepted, you've got to be accepting.

I think it's hysterical, and I think there's something deeper here:  these are young guys who are being pretty uninhibited about being open to gays and serving with gays, and who are relaxed enough and comfortable enough with themselves that they can engage in something like this.  And it's a total send-up of the anti-gay talking points.  I have hope for the future.

Sure it's offensive -- the ones who should be offended are Elaine Donnelley, Sec. Gates, Chairman Mullen, and the president, because it shows them up for the horses' asses they are.

And I want to know where these guys learned some of these moves.

No comments: